Sunday, June 27, 2010

Prosealed Stiffeners to Fuel Tank

Austin and I prosealed the stiffeners to the inside of the right fuel tank today. The stiffeners go on the bottom of each tank to prevent the tank skin from sagging. Each tank holds 21 gallons so at about 6 lbs per gallon, that's 126 lbs the bottom of the tanks need to carry.

Apparently, proseal makes you crazy. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It helped that we took all the precautions I'd read about over the last year including protective hand cream and two pair of gloves. Anytime the top layer glove got proseal on it, we'd replace it. We went through almost a box (100) of gloves between the two of us but we stayed clean. Early on, I thought a little proseal on a glove wouldn't be a problem but when I tried to pick up a little rivet, I'd get 5 stuck to the proseal so that's when we started replacing gloves with impunity.

We applied proseal until we could say "there's no way in hell this is gonna' leak". We didn't actually say that...cursing isn't polite...we just wanted to to apply enough proseal so we could say it if we were in the mood for cussing, which we weren't because things went fine but we still reserve the right to cuss if needed some time in the future.

Here, I'm mixing the proseal on my new scale. It measures down to a tenth of a gram which helps when measuring small quantities. I plan on doing the fuel tank ribs one or two at a time so I'll only be using small amounts of proseal for each session. Glad Paula didn't see me mixing it on her nice dining room table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?