Sunday, August 10, 2014

Spinning Spinner Painted

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to paint the spinner evenly or that I would get runs and dry spots because of the complex shape. I asked several friends for advice and ended up using Daniel's idea. I used scrap wood left over from the canopy frame bending jig to make a box to hold the drill. Then I sanded the top of a screwdriver handle flat and attached the front spinner plate to it with a lag screw. Next, I put double sided tape on the spinner plate to hold it inside the spinner then chucked the screwdriver in the drill. A piece of aluminum angle is screwed across the drill trigger and tightened slowly to adjust the speed. After getting the speed right, it was pretty simple to just hold the paint gun still and spray for one revolution and then move down for each successive pass. If you zoom into the photo, the stripes you see in the middle of the spinner are the reflection of the roof of the paint booth and not runs in the paint.


Here's the contraption in action on Youtube.


Here's the spinner installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?