Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Horizontal Stab Rib Re-Do

I had another almost oops on the Horizontal Stab Ribs. I say almost because the goof technically met the requirements of AC43.13 which is the FAA bible on repairs and alterations and also MIL-R-47196A(MIL) which are the Military Specifications for rivets. I just wasn't happy with my work so I ordered replacements. Later in the build, I may just "rivet on" but I really didn't want to start off my build with "just acceptable". I don't want to let perfect get in the way of very good but I also want to be proud of my workmanship even if it's on a part that nobody will see after everything is assembled.



Speaking of oops, these are some oops rivets I ordered from Van's when I ordered the new ribs above. They're used when a hole needs to be drilled out to the next larger size but you want the head of the rivet to match the others around it. Sometimes happens when you replace a rivet and the hole is just beyond limits for the original size rivet. You can go up the the next size rivet but the head ends up being bigger. Using the oops rivets keeps everything looking "purdy".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?