Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tanks Almost Ready for Proseal

The fuel tanks are almost ready for proseal. I've gotten all the ribs and stiffeners and baffles for both tanks done and I've match drilled everything. The skins are countersunk for the baffles. I've finished the tank attach brackets and only need to open the ends for the fuel attach hardware and then deburr and dimple and then on to the black goop from hell. I still get a kick out of the the fact that the tank sealant (proseal) has no known solvent on the planet. Nothing melts this stuff...which is good considering it helps hold the fuel that keeps you aloft!

In the left side of the picture below, you can see the tank attach brackets that were fabricated out of a big hunk of aluminum angle. Both are shown but only the left one that's nested into the the nose flanges goes with this rib. I just had them together showing Paula how fun it is to fabricate stuff. She was thrilled.


Here are the two tanks in their cradles. I'm building both tanks and wings at the same time so clecos are at a premium which is why the left one has no clothes tomatoes clecos. I ordered more from Vans when I ordered the proseal but I accidentally ordered 3/16's and not 3/32's. I returned them and I'm waiting to receive the correct size. I also planned a swap sale at our next EAA 958 meeting and put out the word that I'm looking for more (good) clecos. I will send a crisp one dollar bill to the first person to contact me and mention this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?