Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Finished the Main Spar Bulkhead

I finished the Main Spar Bulkhead last night. Now it's on to the large bulkhead that goes behind the seats. The control sticks are bolted to this bulkhead but the instructions said to fit and adjust then remove for installation later leaving the brackets attached. I suspect it's an access issue when the seats are installed. You can see the slot where the main wing spar slides into the side of the fuselage in the lower left of the picture. The blue covered skin isn't riveted yet because it gets attached when the main fuselage skins are riveted.









I was particularly proud of the rivets on the bulkhead. Below are some of the rivets I did with a factory rivet in the upper right corner for comparison. I used my Cleaveland c-frame with the female cupped die in the bottom and backriveted from the top. For some reason, the gold anodizing didn't show up in the picture below but you can see it above.

I torqued the bolts that weren't going to be removed and added torque seal. The nut is new and in good shape. I think the flash did funny things to the picture. Torque seal is like thick fingernail polish and its job is to indicate that a bolt has been properly torqued and hasn't moved since.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?