Thursday, July 30, 2009

New (Used) Compressor

Finally, a quiet, powerful air compressor. Here's my newest addition to the aircraft factory tool crib. I found it on craigslist late Wednesday night. It was in San Antonio and very close to my Dad so I asked him to go by and look at it Thursday. It was owned by an older gentleman who appeared to have only used it a couple of times. The oil is still a golden color. I gladly paid $160 (sells new for around $500-$600 plus tax and shipping) for a belt driven, oil fed, cast iron twin cylinder, 5.5cfm @90psi, 115v, 20 gallon air compressor. That's about the biggest you can get and still run off household current. Any bigger and you'll need 220v. Now, I need some wings to drill and rivet to really put the compressor to the test.

2 comments:

  1. Larry, what model is that CH compressor and how has it worked for you? I'm acquiring tools for an -8 project and I want to start with something about that size. Thanks, BW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, It's a VT6290. It's worked great so far but I've only done the empennage so I'm still a rookie. As best I can tell, it will meet all my needs up until paint. I plan on painting the plane myself so I'll need about 12 or 13 CFM to use the Devilbliss Finishline 3 as recommended by Stewart Systems. When that time comes, I'll look for a compressor on craigslist to add to my system to bring the CFM up and then sell it when I'm done painting. I'm happy to help, just email me at the address below on the left.

    ReplyDelete

Comments?