Tuesday, December 7, 2010

New Vise Plus Work On Flaps

Here's a picture of my new bench vise with the flaps in the background. I've been trying to find a good vise at a reasonable price on craigslist or ebay for about 6 months with no luck. The flaps require a bend on two pieces of thick aluminum and a vise like this one will make it much easier. This was the only one left at Home Depot that was Wilton brand and it was only $21! It was made in China but under specs for Wilton so I'm hoping the quality is a little better that the usual China junk. The old bullet style Wiltons on ebay go for hundreds. I made this one detachable by epoxying nuts into the bench. The white stuff below the vise on the edge of the bench is the epoxy with the nuts inside.

I'm making slow but steady progress on the flaps. Part of what's holding me up is understanding how to attach the flap hinge. The written plans say to attach one half of the hinge to the flaps now but the plans have a note to move both sides of the hinge forward or aft to align the flaps with the ailerons. Sort of a Catch 22 thing. The RV forum wasn't real clear, either. Hmmm?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?