Friday, March 8, 2013

Autopilot Pitch Servo

I've mostly finished installing the autopilot pitch servo bracket and motor. I just need to safety wire some bolts. The servo connects to the elevator bellcrank. The elevator bellcrank connects the control stick via pushtubes to the elevator. The elevator is what makes the plane fly up and down or as some jokingly say, makes the houses bigger and smaller. The servo is a highly advanced stepper motor that doesn't restrict movement when the autopilot is off but can directly control the elevators when on. In the picture below, I didn't miss the middle rivet on the bracket. It's for an Adel clamp on the other side to hold wires.

If you're building, note the orientation of the AN 470 rivets on the bellcrank. The factory heads need to be on the same side as the servo pushrod. I tried it the other way but the shop heads interfered with the jamnut on the pushrod. I also added an extra washer between the bearing and the bellcrank.


Here's the top view. I still have wiring to route and connect and the pushtubes to reinstall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?