Sunday, May 26, 2013

Avionics Finished!

I've finished the avionics! Whew, that was much more difficult than I expected but I'm really glad I took the time to do it myself. I learned SO much. I do have clean-up and securing to do and that will take a week or two but everything electronic is working the way it should and talking (transferring data) to each other. The picture below shows the HSI on Skyview displaying the flight plan course from the 430W. Also, the 430W is talking to the transponder and since they're both current with the latest ADS-B standards (TSO-C166b), I'm now fully ADS-B compliant for the January 1st, 2020 FAA mandate. ADS-B is the technology where aircraft can transmit their position to other aircraft and to air traffic control. You can still fly after that date without being ADS-B compliant but just not in the following airspace which covers quite a lot of the flying we'll be doing.
  • Class A, B, and C airspace.
  • All airspace at and above 10,000 feet Mean Sea Level (MSL) over the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia.
  • Within 30 nautical miles of airports listed in 14 CFR §91.225, from the surface up to 10,000 feet MSL.
  • For Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico from the coastline of the United States out to 12 nautical miles, at and above 3,000 feet MSL.


I also checked the GPS signal to the ELT with my homemade tester and it's working fine.


These are the card edge connectors that connect ground wires to the back panel of the 430W. It's not the greatest picture but I went through so much trouble to source them that I had to show them. These little buggers are difficult to get right. I ordered plenty of spares so I could practice until I got them close to perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?