Monday, October 3, 2011

Finished Match Drilling Center Fuselage

I've finished match drilling all the center fuselage. Now it's time to prep the parts for riveting. In the picture below, you can see the spacers I used to get the proper distance on the main spar bulkhead where the wings fit. They're blocks of oak with paper shims. Plans call for 1.438" and I'm showing 1.439" on the micrometer (thanks Steve and Peggy). I tightened the nut that goes through the oak block and bulkhead parts just a smidgen (official aviation term) to close the gap by one thousandths of an inch. Van's does such a good job on the matched hole manufacturing that the holes in the skin and bulkhead flange aligned perfectly when the spacing was correct. I just had to run a drill through the holes to bring them up to the right size.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?