Saturday, February 27, 2010

Finished with Tie Downs

Here are the finished tie downs. Picture the threaded ring hanging down under the wing. That's where the rope or chain will attach. I had to tap (thread) the inside of the block where the ring screws. Austin and I have a lot of experience using the tap and dies from working on the Dart. It was much easier working with aluminum which gives me pause about the strength but there are over 6500 RV's flying and I've never heard about people having problems.

Speaking of RV's flying, I read yesterday that an organization that covers certified aircraft reported that 965 CERTIFIED piston aircraft were sold in 2009. Contrast that with 1032 EXPERIMENTAL piston aircraft that were given airworthiness certificates in 2009 in the U.S. alone. Of those 1032, well over half were RV's!

The tie down assembly also doubles as the attach point for the aileron pushrod brackets as seen below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?